Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Random First Assignment

This class seems very promising. It seems like that type of course where I think I'll know the type of work that I'll be doing, but in reality I could be put on a completely new track and experiment with a direction I've never tried. That was incredibly vague, but I think a few people can understand it.

This first assignment seems interesting enough. It pushes this whole school of thought we're learning where time and image are married and both equally share a significant amount of importance. To already provide a bank of intriguing iStockphoto images was something that surprised me; the moment I heard that we had to make a slide show for homework, my gears were already turning as to what I was going to step outside and photograph. I really get a chance to think about the slide show composition itself during this week, now that the subject matter is already taken care of. Likewise, it keeps all of the posh photographers in our class on a humble leash for a week. I know that they're hiding in there somewhere. They always blow me away with phenomenal image work. The TCNJ Art Department has talent. Take that, Pratt.

I already know what I'm going to do for this slideshow. It's funny that we're starting on iPhoto because that's where I started. I also appreciate the level of appreciation given to a program such as iPhoto. Many young designers feel the need to subscribe to this pomp, misleading idea that if it's free or consumer-level software, it can't be appreciated. This is surely not gospel; the program never made the designer. However, these days a couple of automated presets really could.

No comments:

Post a Comment